Pages

Thursday 9 June 2011

sparkly Crystal Palace

hello teapots. I have been out and about spreading the good news of the Hidden Teapot. On Tuesday I found myself up in Crystal Palace. What a great community vibe they have going on up there! I was popping into shops and cafes asking if it were possible to put up a flyer and everyone was so friendly and obliging. And no one wanted paying!

I popped into the Blackbird bakery (71 Westow Street, SE19 3RW) for a coffee and a muffin, very nice, and they were happy to put a flyer in the window. There were lots of events and workshops being advertised in there. I think they are playing a vital role in advertising what’s going on in Crystal Palace and the adjoining areas.

The barman in the Westow House pub (79 Westow Hill, SE19 1TX) was very amused by the flyer, chuckling as he said “the first rule of the tea club... is you don’t talk about the tea club”. Very funny.

As I was walking down Church Road, a little number in a shop window caught my eye and I was distracted from my mission. I was led involuntarily into ‘Vien’ - 87 Church Road, SE19 2TA (020 8653 6943) and into a little world of wonder! What a lovely discovery. Lots of bits for the home, unusual photo frames, modern ornaments and the like. Towards the back of the shop is a selection of truly gorgeous vintage clothing. All of it was in excellent condition and well priced. There was also a line of new clothing which looks vintage-inspired. And there I found the object of my distraction. A lovely little dress just perfect for a tea party! I had to have it. It was on offer at £25 which was a total bargain. If you are up in the CP area you should ensure you pop in to Vien as it is well worth a visit. I had a chat with the proprietors and they are a really friendly couple. Go check it out.
Im loving my dress

After much traipsing, myself and my teapotting companion walked down through Crystal Palace park. We had a plate of chips in the cafe situated in the park (very clean, reasonably priced, good menu) and then had a stroll around. I loved the gorilla sculpture which is a short stroll from the cafe (see pic below).

The park looks like it has undergone some refurbishment since I was there with my little teapot. It was good to see that the dinosaurs around the lake are still in residence! The park is a lovely green space and again, well worth a visit. Especially as if like me, you haven’t been there for a while. Go and surprise yourself.
Gggrrrrr

Gorilla sculpture, David Wynne, 1961

1 comment: